My First "Back to School" Purchases for My New First Graders!

About Me

My photo
Ohio
Welcome! I hope to use this blog to share some of the amazing things my class and school does to make learning fun! I have been teaching for 15 years already! I started teaching 3rd grade in a Parochial School, then I was hired to teach 1st grade for three years, was moved to 5th grade for 2 years, and then came back to 1st grade in the district where I attended school. I love that I'm able to give back the the school district that guided me to become the teacher I am today! I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, certified 1-8; a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction; and my Administrator License Pre-K-12.

Blogs I Love!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Columbus Day!

From what I read a lot of people had Columbus Day off...not us!  We were in school learning all about Christopher Columbus!

We sang songs like this one, sung to the tune of "All Around the Mulberry Bush":
All around the great wide world,
Columbus sailed the ocean.
To prove the world was big and round,
That's real devotion!

And this one, sung to the tune of "Oh, Suzanna":
Oh, Columbus.
Oh, Columbus.
Sailed the ocean wide and blue.
He landed in America, 
In 1492.


We read several books:
I love this book because it rhymes!

We then made these fun art projects from TLC Lessons.  TLC has a collection of directed art lessons for just about every season, theme, etc.  My teacher pal, Mrs. Kania came across them a few years ago and I'm hooked!  Each project has directions that the children need to follow.  You need to pre-cut the paper...but it's so worth it!  The projects turn out so cute and it's a great listening and fine motor activity!  Check out our Santa Maria...or Nina...or Pinta!  :) 

It's Fire Prevention Week too!  I'll post what we're doing for that later in the week!
Happy Fall!
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment