My First "Back to School" Purchases for My New First Graders!

About Me

My photo
Ohio
Welcome! I hope to use this blog to share some of the amazing things my class and school does to make learning fun! I have been teaching for 15 years already! I started teaching 3rd grade in a Parochial School, then I was hired to teach 1st grade for three years, was moved to 5th grade for 2 years, and then came back to 1st grade in the district where I attended school. I love that I'm able to give back the the school district that guided me to become the teacher I am today! I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, certified 1-8; a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction; and my Administrator License Pre-K-12.

Blogs I Love!

Friday, June 29, 2012

First Purchases for 2012 (and a little more...)

Well...I made my first visit to The Dollar Tree and I actually kept myself in check...
Congratulations certificates for the
end of next year.
Word Cards: Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives,
States, Continents, Newspaper Labels,
and Job descriptions.
But then I discovered "Container Heaven"....clear containers that were whispering to me from their shelves, "We'd look so good in your art closet...buy us now!"

And these fun "Design Your Own Mug!" mugs...
Part of me is thinking to purchase them to let the kiddos design and use throughout the year...water for warm days, Abby's "Jitter Juice"from her "Fun with Firsties" unit, hot cocoa in winter...but then there's keeping them clean and storing them too.  What do you think?  Should I do it??

Are you stalking Jessica Stanford over at Mrs. Standford's Class?  She has some really cute ideas and I always love reading her posts...plus she's from Ohio just like me!  Anyway, she's trying to earn enough votes to win a laptop for her classroom.  Click on the link below the picture to take you to her blog post!
Click here!
I just posted three sets of my chapter books on Teachers Pay Teachers.  Thanks again for all of your advice.  

I priced them @ $15.00 for a set of 5 and added $5.00 for shipping and handling.  We'll see how it goes.  Spread the word to those who you think might be interested.
My Shop!


So...a funny story....
My sister, her two daughters and I live at Soak City during the summer.  Soak City is a water park connected to Cedar Point which is practically in our backyard.  We're there a lot!  Anyway, the other day I was just minding my own business and reading The Book Whisperer (Awesome book...I'm going to email the teachers at my school and tell them that it's a great summer read...they're going to think I'm crazy).  One niece was sleeping and the other was laying in the sun with us and all of a sudden I feel a presence.  A lurking shadow...a giggling lurking shadow.  As I turn around to see what's standing near me, there they were...all smiles.  5 kiddos from my school.  Now...on a side note, God has not blessed me with a beach body and one would think that he could at least bless me with beach hair...but noooo...I'm all wavy and curly, sunglasses trying to maintain at least a part of it...their mothers looking on admiringly from a distance...all put together mind you!  And there I am...catching up on summer with the kids.  They were too cute!  Before I knew it, they were sitting in a semi-circle around my beach chair and we were all sharing our summer adventures.  Made me start to really think about my plans for this year!Okay...well, I'm off to start laminating all of my word cards I found at The Dollar Tree (I wonder if that company knows how much teachers adore them)!
Take Care!

6 comments:

  1. That story is so funny!! It always seems like no matter where you go, the kiddos seem to find you. That happens to me all of the time. I love your Dollar Tree finds. You just reminded me about looking for those small containers for my dice!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! Right?!? Just when I think I can blend in with the tourists it happens!

      Delete
  2. Love your finds!! I especially love the little containers.

    april
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart those little containers. I use them for all kinds of things in the classroom. I love the idea of the kids getting a mug to have for the whole year. It might be a pain to wash them out but maybe there might be a parent willing to take on that job. I'm going to work on using parents more next year. Love your water park story. Sounds like my life. I live in a small town and see kids all the time.
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete