My First "Back to School" Purchases for My New First Graders!

About Me

My photo
Ohio
Welcome! I hope to use this blog to share some of the amazing things my class and school does to make learning fun! I have been teaching for 15 years already! I started teaching 3rd grade in a Parochial School, then I was hired to teach 1st grade for three years, was moved to 5th grade for 2 years, and then came back to 1st grade in the district where I attended school. I love that I'm able to give back the the school district that guided me to become the teacher I am today! I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, certified 1-8; a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction; and my Administrator License Pre-K-12.

Blogs I Love!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Steven Kellogg Comes to Furry Elementary!

So...apparently I'm a once-a-month type of blogger during the school year!  :)

My school had the most incredible day this past Friday...Steven Kellogg came to visit us!  I saw him speak at Mazza in Findlay, Ohio in November of 2011 to a group of adults and was so amazed and inspired!  I could barely sleep the night before just dying to know how he would be with our children.  It's a good thing I couldn't sleep because I got a late night invitation to eat breakfast with Mr. Kellogg and a few teacher friends!  Ummmm...yeah...I was so stinkin' excited!  A good friend told my friend and I that we were like a couple of kids at a Disney Character meet and greet!  I sat right across from him and his english muffin, fruit, and poached egg with coffee!  It was such an amazing opportunity!  We got to hear about a book that's going to be released this fall that literally made me tear up.  He collaborated with Patricia MacLachlan to write Snowflakes Fall in honor of the families in Newtown, Connecticut.  You can read more about it by clicking here.

Our school was decked out from floor to ceiling with Steven Kellogg inspired artwork and decorations!  You can check them out on the photo page of my website at www.shivermefirsties.com


When it was our turn to go to his presentation, my class was so pumped!  Even my ones who "don't like to read" were glued to him!  It was awesome!

My niece and I with Steven Kellogg!


We gave our families the opportunity to order books prior to Steven's visit so that we could have them autographed for their child.  He signed probably close to 400 books or more when it was all said and done.  He then made this illustration and wanted us to copy it and send it home with all of the children.




It was so great to watch the children look at their autographs (he personalized every single one of them) and their illustrated poster at dismissal!  They were talking to each other about their books and the characters and they were making connections.  It's what I dream a primary school should look and sound like every day!

So...if you're looking to bring an author to your school, Steven Kellogg is definitely worth it! Definitely a memory to last a lifetime!

Hope everyone is doing well and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!  We have 23 days left...full of testing, testing, testing...and getting ready for 2nd grade!


No comments:

Post a Comment