My First "Back to School" Purchases for My New First Graders!

About Me

My photo
Ohio
Welcome! I hope to use this blog to share some of the amazing things my class and school does to make learning fun! I have been teaching for 15 years already! I started teaching 3rd grade in a Parochial School, then I was hired to teach 1st grade for three years, was moved to 5th grade for 2 years, and then came back to 1st grade in the district where I attended school. I love that I'm able to give back the the school district that guided me to become the teacher I am today! I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, certified 1-8; a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction; and my Administrator License Pre-K-12.

Blogs I Love!

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Melody Monday

Hi my name is Jenn and I have an addiction. I am addicted to music. ALL kinds of music! I will listen to anything once...yep...anything...all genres. I have been known to purchase an entire album based on a 30 second audio clip. I have also purchased an entire soundtrack based on a song from a movie and then purchase the original album that the song originated. Shazam is my most favorite app on my iPhone and iPad and I have been known to shush those around me so that I can get a good "tag" whether I'm in a restaurant, shopping, or driving in the car. If you're unfamiliar with "tagging," you need to download the Shazam app so you can start tagging. All you need to do is tap the tag button while you're listening to a tune. Shazam listens, and then will match the music to the song title, album and artist...and then it links you to iTunes to so you can purchase it immediately! Such a convenience for an addict like me! :)

So I thought about making my Monday posts all about what we're listening to in our classroom. We listen to a lot of music throughout the year. Some of it is used for transitions, some of it is to help us master a specific skill and some of it is just played in the background during our day. One of our favorites this year is Wayne Brady's Radio Wayne. (It's listed as $11.99 on Amazon but it's $7.99 on iTunes.)
Wayne Brady has some serious hip tunes on this album. We use his "Good Morning" song to help us transition from working on our seat work to gathering on the carpet for our morning meeting and calendar routine. Once the kiddos heard it a few times, they were able to sing right along with him! We also use his "High Low" song to dance to when we need to...well...burn off some energy. The whole album is full of fun beats and lyrics! I totally recommend this album to spice up your classroom!

I can't wait to share what else we're listening to! I think it's really important to expose children to lots of different genres of music and I love getting their input on what we're listening to.

Tune in next week for another one of our greatest hits!

1 comment: