My First "Back to School" Purchases for My New First Graders!

About Me

My photo
Ohio
Welcome! I hope to use this blog to share some of the amazing things my class and school does to make learning fun! I have been teaching for 15 years already! I started teaching 3rd grade in a Parochial School, then I was hired to teach 1st grade for three years, was moved to 5th grade for 2 years, and then came back to 1st grade in the district where I attended school. I love that I'm able to give back the the school district that guided me to become the teacher I am today! I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, certified 1-8; a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction; and my Administrator License Pre-K-12.

Blogs I Love!

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Boo! Boo! Boo!




Yes, sweet friends!  I've been boo-ed...not once, not twice...but three times!  Holy cow!  Now here's the part I feel totally guilty about...
I was Boo-ed at least a week ago and I am just now having time to sit down and pass on the spookiness!  At least we're still in the month of October, right?

Here are the rules...
If you've been boo-ed, copy and paste the above pic and these "rules" into your post.
1. Give a shout out to the blogger who booed you and link back to their site!
2. Share 3-5 October activities, books, products (yours or someone else),
or freebie(s) that you love!
3. Share the Boo love with 5 bloggers- make sure you check this link to make sure you don't boo someone again:
http://toristeachertips.blogspot.com/2012/10/ive-been-booed-fun-october-linky.html
And don't forget to tell them that they have been BOOED!
4. Link up {here} so that others can find you and read about your October ideas! And while you are there... check out the other great blogs!

So here's a shout out to some of my blogger friends who Boo-ed me!

curiousfirsties.blogspot.com
Thanks Maria, Jennifer, and Crystal!
It was so kind of you to include me in on the fun!
If you haven't checked out their blogs, you really must!  I'm a little behind on reading their posts at the moment but they always give me great ideas and definitely something to think about!

My favorite October books and activities...

Anything with spiders!  I love reading 
It's a fabulous read aloud!  It's one of those books on my pile to create something fun for you and your kiddos!

We had a few minutes to spare at the end of the day yesterday, so we read
My kiddos loved it...another book I have ideas for!

(I really need a personal assistant.)

Halloween joke books are great too!  This week, I'm going to put a joke on my Smart Board each day, but scramble the answer.  The kiddos will have to unscramble the answer which will also form a complete sentence.  We're working on sentence structure, so I thought this would be a fun idea for this spooky week!

Hat Day!
We're not allowed to dress up at school on Halloween so for the past 3 years or so I've organized a building wide hat day that allows the children to design a hat at home with their families and wear it to school.  We are a Pre-K to 2nd grade building so our words range from color words for our Pre-K cuties (in English and Spanish), letters of the alphabet with our kindergarten friends and sight words from our reading series for our first and second graders.  Each teacher assigns a word or letter to each of their students.  A note goes home explaining the project to our families.  All hats are due back to school a day or two before our actual Hat Day so that those who didn't make a hat can make one quickly with their teacher.  We realize families are busy and we don't want anyone left out of the fun!  On Hat Day, my class starts a "parade" and we travel through each classroom to show off our hats.  As we go through each classroom, the class lines up behind us and we continue to the next class until the whole school is is parading through the school.  The hats that come to school are amazing!  Each year, they get better and better!  Here's a few from this year...












So that was more than "a few"!  I had a hard time picking some pictures to share.  I'm always amazed at the hats that we get!  Our families are awesome...and my teacher friends are pretty cool too...they let this little bit of fun interrupt their normal routines for our kids!  Thanks secret followers of my blog who teach at my school!  :)

I think October should be a longer month!  There are so many fabulous ideas for Halloween fun on TPT, Teachers Notebook, and Pinterest...and of course all of your wonderful blogs!

I now have to Boo 5 other bloggers but since I'm a little behind the Boo-ing...please help me out!  If you haven't been Boo-ed yet...consider yourself Boo-ed by me!  (I feel like such a slacker...it's so unlike me!)  Just leave me a comment so I can give some blogger love to you in a future post! 

Have a great Saturday!


2 comments:

  1. Love the hats. One year we had Dictionary day and students had to dress up like one of our vocabulary words.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, so glad to read your post! I was missin' your cute stories!
    Amy Howbert

    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete