My First "Back to School" Purchases for My New First Graders!

About Me

My photo
Welcome! I hope to use this blog to share some of the amazing things my class and school does to make learning fun! I have been teaching for 15 years already! I started teaching 3rd grade in a Parochial School, then I was hired to teach 1st grade for three years, was moved to 5th grade for 2 years, and then came back to 1st grade in the district where I attended school. I love that I'm able to give back the the school district that guided me to become the teacher I am today! I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, certified 1-8; a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction; and my Administrator License Pre-K-12.

Blogs I Love!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

VERY Productive Day Today...Thankfully!

Whew!  Today was extremely productive!  Woo-hoo for me!  :)  I crawled out of bed bright and early this morning to head to my parent's house to work with my dad on a few classroom projects.  The first project on our list was my 6 crate seats.  These seem to be the hot item this summer so I just had to have a set.  We headed to Home Depot, picked out a cheap but very sturdy wood and Dino cut it for us for free!   
If you're going to have them cut your wood for you, take your
 crate with you so that your measurements can be exact.

A Perfect Fit!

I found mattress foam at Ollie's for $6.99.

I was a little worried about whether or not it was too thin, but it worked!

I picked up a queen sized sheet at Target for $11.99.
You could probably get 16 covers out of one queen sized sheet.

We found a "Foam Board Adhesive" caulk that we used to glue the foam on.

We then placed the board in the center of our fabric and
wrapped it like a present.

Dad used his staple gun to attach the sheet to the board.

We had to hammer a few of the staples in...I think
Dad needs a new staple gun.

We then used Duct Tape on the material that was a little flappy.

And Ta-Da!  It worked!  :)
 One project completed from beginning to end!

Then we were ready to hang the branches on my tree so we loaded up the toolbox and headed into my classroom.  Talk about a lot of prayer...I was so nervous that it wouldn't work because I didn't have a Plan B for this project.  It worked surprisingly well and when we left around 12:30 all of the branches were still attached.  I'm sure I'll be having tree nightmares but I'm loving how it looks!

The next pictures you'll see is of a completed tree full of leaves and green grass below!  Hopefully next week sometime!

And yes...I did get some pool time this afternoon...but I felt so guilty with everything else I should have been doing!

Attending a district-wide in-service on our new observation system tomorrow!  I'll hopefully be able to multi-task again...or at least do some more blog stalking! :)


  1. I stopped in your room but must have missed you. The tree looks great! I am jealous. Makes me want to pitch a bunch of things so I can have something cool like that in my room.