My First "Back to School" Purchases for My New First Graders!

About Me

My photo
Ohio
Welcome! I hope to use this blog to share some of the amazing things my class and school does to make learning fun! I have been teaching for 15 years already! I started teaching 3rd grade in a Parochial School, then I was hired to teach 1st grade for three years, was moved to 5th grade for 2 years, and then came back to 1st grade in the district where I attended school. I love that I'm able to give back the the school district that guided me to become the teacher I am today! I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, certified 1-8; a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction; and my Administrator License Pre-K-12.

Blogs I Love!

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Book Share!

Do you ever come across a book or two that you read and it just sticks with you? Like it moves into a place in your heart and there's something that reminds you about it every day?  

I found three of those books earlier this year thanks to some amazing bloggers, Mr. Schu who is a teacher/librarian in a K-5 school and Colby Sharp who is a 3rd grade teacher in Michigan.  You can click on the links below to visit their blogs:


http://mrschureads.blogspot.com
http://mrcolbysharp.com

When you visit their blogs, you're probably going to want to start following them on Twitter too.  They are always, always, ALWAYS sharing new books for kids of all ages!  So let me share the books they introduced to me!  I've linked each book to a site for you to get more information.

My first share is the 2014 Newberry Award Winner, Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo.  Holy bagumba!  Every time I see a squirrel I think of this adorable book!

http://www.katedicamillo.com/books/flora.html

A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd.  Talk about MAGIC!  Another story full of friendship and imagination.  It's just a great read!
http://natalielloyd.blogspot.com/p/fiction.html

 The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate...oh. my. gosh.  I read this story in one sitting on one of our deep freeze days this past winter.  Every time I see an elephant or a gorilla, I'm reminded of this story.  This one really tugged at my heart strings.  A picture book version of this story is coming out this fall and I can't wait!  It's just an amazing story.
http://theoneandonlyivan.com

I would love to read these books to my first graders this year but I need to meet them first to see if they'll be able to handle them.  If I were teaching 3rd grade though, these books would definitely be a part of our year together.  Don't take my recommendation alone though, read them yourself first and make your own decision.

It's a gloomy, rainy morning and I overslept and won't be making it to church in time so I plan on starting this one next:

http://carolinecarlsonbooks.com/books/

I'm on the hunt for some new chapter books for read alouds this year!  If you know of anything new that would work for little ears, please let me know!

Hope all is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment