My First "Back to School" Purchases for My New First Graders!

About Me

My photo
Ohio
Welcome! I hope to use this blog to share some of the amazing things my class and school does to make learning fun! I have been teaching for 15 years already! I started teaching 3rd grade in a Parochial School, then I was hired to teach 1st grade for three years, was moved to 5th grade for 2 years, and then came back to 1st grade in the district where I attended school. I love that I'm able to give back the the school district that guided me to become the teacher I am today! I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, certified 1-8; a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction; and my Administrator License Pre-K-12.

Blogs I Love!

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Roller Coaster of a Day!

I am so excited!  Christie of First Grade Fever had the spotlight on little old me today!

Check her out!

She has lined up tons of awesome bloggers to offer some freebies this week!  So fun!  Especially since I just dropped another pretty penny or two at Teachers Pay Teachers.  :)  I have to admit, when she first contacted me I was a little giddy about the whole thing...I mean it's Christie, for heaven's sake!  Her blog was one of the first ones I stalked on a regular basis.  I was so thrilled that she thought enough of me and my little corner in the blogosphere to include me in her frenzy!  Thanks Christie!

Today I had to attend a child abuse inservice.  I'm assuming that everyone has to go to these.  I have to go every 5 years.  Today's inservice was all morning...they let us out a little early, but it was not fun in anyway.  Even sitting next to my two buddies...still not fun.  I don't just dread going because it takes a full morning.  I dread going because it's just awful to hear and see the types of abuse that are happening in the area where I live.  I know it's everywhere...but to see pictures of it...just tore me up today.  I can't get those visuals out of my head.  The speakers did a lecture and then started showing us pictures of neglect...in homes.  So although the pictures were gross, I could somehow handle them.  I just kept thinking, some teacher was responsible for the learning of the child living in that cockroach infested, dirty, disgusting "home."  Then they started showing pictures of children who were abused.  Close-up pictures...burns, stabs, fractures, bruises, blood...you name it, they showed pictures of it.  I had to stop watching at about the halfway point.  For someone to purposefully harm a child is completely unacceptable.  I don't care that social services sees it as their duty to help the family so it doesn't happen again.  It happened once...and the stories they shared proved that the adult intended to do harm,  therefore I don't think they should be able to be in the presence of children ever again.  Sorry if this isn't politically correct but it just made me sick.  I've been thinking about it all day...even during the retail therapy I signed myself up for this afternoon with my sister.  When it was over all I could say was, "Go home and love your babies, friends!"

Okay...sorry about my roller coaster of a post (High Point-Christie's Frenzy/Low Point-my inservice)...but it just sucks...(Yeah.  I said it) what some of our kiddos have to deal with...  and then we expect them to learn everything they need to learn so that they do well on "the test".

Hoping to be in a better "place" tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the feature!! It is a shame that some of our students have to live in such deplorable conditions. It is heartbreaking!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading this made me sick to my stomach. I can't deal with it either and that is why I struggle everytime we have the inservice. I agree with your thoughts. It amazes me how people can do such harm and yet still have rights to parent these precios children.
    I hope you have a better day today. Just keep reminding yourself that you ARE making a difference in their lives. I'm sure your students will NEVER forget the love and concern you have for them.
    Amy
    Where Seconds Count

    ReplyDelete