My First "Back to School" Purchases for My New First Graders!

About Me

My photo
Ohio
Welcome! I hope to use this blog to share some of the amazing things my class and school does to make learning fun! I have been teaching for 15 years already! I started teaching 3rd grade in a Parochial School, then I was hired to teach 1st grade for three years, was moved to 5th grade for 2 years, and then came back to 1st grade in the district where I attended school. I love that I'm able to give back the the school district that guided me to become the teacher I am today! I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, certified 1-8; a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction; and my Administrator License Pre-K-12.

Blogs I Love!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Student-Led Conferences

Our second round of conferences are scheduled for this Thursday and next Monday. These conferences are optional for our parents, but I have my kiddos and their families participate in student-led conferences. I do my best to have these conferences totally planned by the kiddos so about a week ago, we started talking about conferences and how these conferences would be very different from the typical conferences we had in the fall. We brainstormed a list of "things" we would like to share with our families and then narrowed down our topics and talked about the details we would include.

Today we started practicing our conferences. I paired myself up with a kiddo and pretended I was the student and I was sharing my success with my parent. I showed both the right and wrong ways to tell our parents about what we were sharing. Of course I got a little dramatic but I wanted them to know that just staring at their work and not communicating wasn't going to fly. I then paired the kiddos up with a friend who would be their pretend parent and let them practice together. We'll be practicing more tomorrow and Thursday so that everyone is well prepared.

I really love having my students and their families participate in student led conferences! It's a great way to watch the families interact and let my firsties shine! I've attached a few of the handouts I'll be using this week! Feel free to take a peek!

No comments:

Post a Comment